Friday, March 1, 2013

What 25 Feels Like


On Wednesday I turned 25. Twenty-five, two-five, 25. No matter how many times or ways I say it/write it, it doesn't feel real. I still remember when any age with a two in front of it sounded ancient. And now I'm on the down slope to an age with a THREE in front of it?!

I thought people were supposed to have life figured out by this age. Little did I know, there was such a thing as a "quarter-life crisis". I'm pretty sure I'm having one. Right on schedule. My head is spinning and there's often a paralyzing fear that I'm not meeting everyone else's opinions about what I should or should not be doing at this point in my life. Sometimes I get so worried about the expectations of others that I forget to evaluate whether or not I'm meeting the expectations I have for myself. Am I making the best decisions for me? Am I fulfilled and leading a purposeful life? 

When I step back and take peer pressure out of the equation, I breathe a sigh of relief because I feel good about where I'm at and where I'm headed. That's not to say that I have everything figured out, but I'm okay with a little unknown. I just need to keep reminding myself of that and stop having those momentary quarter-life freak outs. :)

ANYWAY, my actual day of birth was lovely and calm. No age-related freak-outs (mostly thanks to my sweet husband and his omniscient ways!). He planned a day that was just what I needed, taking the day off of work and surprising me with breakfast in bed and some beautiful roses. 

In the afternoon we went for a walk at Gasworks Park. It started raining and so we ventured over to get gelato from our favorite place, which we had been avoiding since July after we took the gelato-love a little too far over the summer... I predict we won't make it seven days now that we've re-experienced it! 

Oh, and as if the day hadn't been enough already, we ended it at a fancy schmancy restaurant. What I thought was going to be a boring run-of-the-mill Wednesday, turned out to be pretty special thanks to that guy I married. I'm a little bit spoiled. ;)

So, thanks Hubby! It was fun!



17 comments:

Allie said...

Happy Birthday!!!!!! And any birthday that has gelato in it is a great birthday :)

Brittany Kyte said...

Happy Birthday, lovely! And, oh man, I hear ya sister. 25 is a hard one to swallow... not too sure why. I am 25... only 25 but it might as well be 50 because that is how old I feel when people ask me my age. Oh well, we have tons of life left to live!! Make it the best :)

Katie @ My Darling Days said...

Happy Birthday dear!! Welcome to quarter-life crisis :)

lost in travels said...

happy birthday! sounds like you had a good one. thank God for husbands that make it special. i'm not going to lie, turning 25 this summer kind of freaks me out but i know that's it's nothing chocolate and wine can't fix : )

Lyndsy said...

Glad it turned out to be a good one! Happy 25th! :)

Meg Arnold said...

Happy Birthday! I am always scared for certain birthdays {17 :), 23!} and i think 25 will be one of those for me! I can't wait until I turn 24 so I can feel "young" again, haha what a silly girl, right?! but here are some birthday candles for you:
iii ;)
have a wonderful year!
meg

Sini said...

Happy birthday!! I love these photos, everything is so pretty. I will be freaking out soon too, I'll turn 30 in few months and haven't figured out my life yet. I'm not going to live with the other peoples expectations ever, so turning 30 shouldn't be hard ;) but it is haha.

Camilla Monique said...

Happy birthday!
Great pictures, just seeing both of u
makes me smile:)

LuckyRainbowDesigns said...

Happy Birthday!

Remember that you are ONLY 25! ONLY 25, it may feel old but its not.at.all! If you died, someone would say "She was so young!" - morbid I know, but you are so young! You dont need to life FIGURED out at any age. I spent my 20's trying to figure life out and you know what, it was a waste of my 20s!!!

Chrissy said...

Ah, happy birthday, friend! xxx

Helen Loss said...

Love your photos! Hope you had a great birthday!

helen said...

happy happy birthday!!!! i totally felt the same way when i turned 25...i am glad you had a wonderful time!

Sausan Hanifah said...

It's really inspiring blog! Happy birfr <3

Wanna follow each other with GFC? Please let me know :)

sausanhanifah.blogspot.com

Benlovesting said...

Ah I love your blog, photos always so beautiful!

Brittany LeSueur said...

Happy happy birthday gorgeous girl!!! you look absolutely perfect!! I am convinced that 25 is the beginning of all things good in life! Lance is so good to you! Love it

Jorie said...

happy birthday! love your boots!

jorie

Zoƫ said...

Happy birthday! As a wise 26 year old, I have to say that arriving in your mid-20's is a little scary, but also exciting. Be proud of what you've done and the life you love! Apparently it gets even better :)