Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Halloween!


Here are a few of our favorite scary movies. Not included: Hitchcock. We love anything Hitchcock--especially Psycho, Vertigo and the Birds. As much as we may like scary movies, we haven't branched out much so none of our faves are terribly original. Now, don't get mad at me for including the Saw series. I get it--it's terrible and violent and gross. I don't like the gore and close my eyes through most of it. BUT, it does have a great story. It's not just a "slasher". I love movies with twists and turns and dramatic, shocking endings. Plus it was interesting after each movie to theorize about what was going on. It was, for the most part, quite well-written.

So, yes, I love scary things. Scary movies, Stephen King books, haunted houses... [Evidence: this last Valentine's Day we had dinner at home and watched Paranormal Activity. So romantic, I know.]

I blame my dad for his elaborate scary pranks on me as a child. You know, the usual things you do to children like jumping out of closets in frightening masks or making our basement into a creepy haunted room for me and my friends to walk through (it's a wonder I had any friends).

Another reason I'm surprised I had any friends (no, unfortunately this was not Halloween and I was not intentionally dressed as a vampire. and, no, I don't know why I am voluntarily sharing this photo):

Yikes. Moving on...

When I met Lance he definitely was not a fan of scary anything. He was afraid of my dog. No, not Jack... He was scared of little baby Winston (the Westie). The first time I forced him to watch a scary movie he nearly died and probably didn't sleep for weeks. Since then, I have desensitized him to all that is frightening in the world (not sure if this is a good thing) and he now tricks (tricks, I say!) all who come to our house into watching scary movies! Even if they say no! He's such a good friend. Don't you all want to come over now? (those who came to our house last Friday and were subject to Lance's choice of movie suddenly have plans every weekend for the next year...)

Okay, your thoughts. 
Do you like scary movies? 
Or do you think people who do are crazy (I won't be mad)? 

6 comments:

Katie said...

Oh my gosh, I can't watch ANYTHING scary -- not even previews! We went to watch "Looper" recently (a really interesting movie, that wasn't at all what I thought it would be), and all the previews before the movie were scary. I had to sit with my eyes closed, "looking" down, while Mr. M covered my ears for me. No joke.

All that being said, I do love me some Hitchcock (which I'd say is more suspenseful, than scary) and I can even watch the edited version of "Saw" on TV, because it DOES have such a good story to it. But that's as far as anything scary goes for me. Unless you count the fact that I like "Criminal Minds" ... :) No? Hehe.

Maria Morley said...

Lol. You are so funny. My husband LOVES scary movies. Well, scary anything, really. Me, on the other hand -- I like scary movies and books while I'm watching/reading. But they PLAGUE me for weeks after, usually. I can't sleep, or I have nightmares. No fun. ;-)

jamiedawn said...

Love your pics, lady! I also love house of 1000 corpses rob Zombie is crazy!

helen said...

happy halloween! you are a brave soul!! i am terrified of scary movies, but i have always been intrigued by the hitchcock films! :)

Benlovesting said...

Happy halloween to you!! x

Emilie said...

Nawww you were a little cutie - I remember how cool those choker necklaces were haha
xo Emilie @ Hungry Delights