Tuesday, March 20, 2012

To Visit in Seattle: Thai Tom {Date Night}



Last night we went out to our favorite Thai food restaurant, Thai Tom. I'm sure I've mentioned it before, as we go here far more often than we probably should. If you're a Thai food fan and live in or plan on visiting Seattle then I highly recommend going here.

 Now I realize I am not from Thailand and therefore no expert in the authenticity of the food, but I have been to a vast amount of Thai restaurants and this one by far takes the cake. Most Thai food we've had is a sugary, wet mess. This, on the other hand, is complex, spicy and made right in front of you.  Oh, and did I mention it's inexpensive? Most plates are $7.49 (cash only!) and we usually end up having to take some home. That's a killer deal.


It's definitely not the place you go if you're only into high class, fancy-schmancy dining (we're not). I probably would never have ventured in here in the first place if it hadn't been recommended to me, but the unique atmosphere definitely adds to the experience. It's a small, dark hole in the wall and usually has a line out the door.

I always get the chicken Pad Thai. I can't even bring myself to get anything else because it's so perfectly wonderful. The chicken is charred to perfection. Lance, however, has ventured out to new territory a couple of times and highly recommends the Poor Man's Noodles. Last night we also tried the Thai Iced Tea. AMAZING!

*Warning*: Their star rating system for spiciness is very serious business. The first time we came here Lance got four stars and I got three. We both almost died. And we like spicy food! Now, I get one and he gets two and it's still spicy. But literally, anything above three and you might explode. 



For those who sit at the bar you get to literally watch your food get prepared and it is quite a show. It's hot and there are often large fireballs bursting from the stove, which is a little frightening, especially if your sitting in the seat literally right next to the burner. Lance grabbed a video of the cooking in action:






Okay, now I'm hungry! Dinner time!

27 comments:

Eden Marie said...

There is a place like that were I live with the star ratings...I got a three the first time I was there as well. Let's just say I drank 4 glasses of water at dinner.

ShyScout said...

Sounds and looks so yummy! I love good Thai food. We have a great place where I live and I feel like they have their pad thai down :] I can't handle super spicy meals - that sounds intense!!

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Glad you had fun! We went to a Thai food place in Port Townsend, not as good probably, but still tasty!

Tegan {enlove with life} said...

Oh my goodness that first photo is stunning. Your hair, make up, and outfit are perfection. I consider this more motivation to keep growing my hair out. I want to steal that whole look!

Erika said...

Yum - I was craving Thai food today and this is definitely making it worse!! I love hole in the wall places, they often have the best food. If I ever end up in Seattle I will try to remember this place. Thanks!

Jes said...

so glad i had thai food for lunch yesterday before reading this! i was craving thai BAD yesterday!
great pictures, too.
xx jes

Taylor said...

Omgoodness you're adorable! Ny husband and I just had Thai the other day too:) its a regular in our home.

Kirsten Wiemer said...

sounds so fun. i love places like that where you really want to try another dish but you just have one you love so much that you can't bring yourself to try another.

you are gorgeous. i love your red lipstick.

-k

Tori Baldridge said...

Oh goodness thai food is my favorite! And that first pic of you is to die for!

Emily said...

definitely adding that to our seattle to-do list as well, thank you thank youuu :)

Gentri said...

That sounds so delicious right now!! Yum!!

Maria Camila said...

That food looks delicious. Yummmm!

AmandaRose said...

I love your lipstick! I also love Seattle and miss it there!
That Thai food looks delicious!

Lotus Blossom Design said...

What a sweet post.

Amy and the City said...

I am so jealous right now! It all looks so delicious! Thai green curry is my absolute favorite!
You look too sweet by the way :)
Amy xo

Amanda k. said...

Yuuum! Thai is my favorite! I usually end up with pad thai as well, but red curry is also delicious. I have wanted to go to Thai Tom, but haven't made it down to Seattle in a while.

psychelyn said...

I haven't tried Thai food but from your description, I think it's something I would like :)

Natalia L. said...

I've never had Thai, actually I'm a bit picky when it comes to food, but I bet my son would love it since he's a fan of spicy food!

Girls that glitter love the dark
xoxo

Heather said...

Sounds fabulous! PS love your hair and rep lips - so perfect!

XO
www.pearlsandpaws.blogspot.com

Casey said...

Ohh how yummy! And I have never heard of a rating system?? I think we're eating in the wrong Thai restaurants!!

The Adventurer said...

Yep, thats THE best. I live around the corner from a joint like this and its seriously just the. best.

And I mean, you can never go wrong with chicken pad thai. ever.

LeSueurs said...

OK someday when I visit Seattle I am going here. I have never had Thai food, but I love spicy food ALOT. The best places to eat are never the fancy-schmancy ones!!! And you look gorgeous by the way!!

Mr. Taylor and his Lady said...

what?!?! how have the mister and i never been here. he is a major thai man. his dad actually lived there for a while.
and they make it right in front of you?? too perfect.
you are adorable girl!
can't wait to move back to seattle at the end of the summer and experience the amazingness that seattle has to offer again :)
xo TJ

Katie @ My Darling Days said...

This place looks great, and so do you! :) Cute outfit and make-up dear!

Shaylynn... I BLAHWG. said...

I am TOTALLY blog stalking.

#1. thai food is the best.
#2. love your jacket.
#3. love that you're wearing red lipstick.
#4. the fact that you found cheap thai food that is delicious blows my mind, like BLOWS it.

GingerMommy said...

Brady is also IN LOVE with Thai Tom and he wants to go there all the time! Have you been to Tawon Thai in Fremont? I think that's yummy too! :)
Nikki

Rolled Up Pretty said...

Your outfit is SO cute! Seriously LOVE that black coat. Okay, this place looks right up our alley, wish they had one here!